Harasztifalu was originally a village inhabited by Croats invited there by Péter Erdődy in the mid-1500s. Today only an insignificant number of people speak Croatian. The church was consecrated in honour of St Ladislas, King of Hungary. On the main street (48 Fő utca) there is an exhibition displaying the earlier life and history of the village.
The village of Nagykölked was first mentioned in a document dating from 1221 and the community had a church consecrated to the honour of St Nicholas in the early 14th century. The current church, bearing its patron saint, St Nicholas’ name, was built in Neo-Romanesque style in 1896.
Attention! Visitors are warned that the pathway leading through the Szentpéterfa forest can only be walked during the day, as it is a wildlife management area.

Harasztifalu is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Harasztifalu - Nagykölked (1.5 km) - Szentpéterfai-forest (5 km) - Ják (15 Km)
Harasztifalu - Körmend, railway station (6,5 km) - Körmend, town center (7 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....



Contribute and show Your experience!
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!