In 2005, in order to present the outstanding monuments of the life and cult of Europe’s most popular saint St Martin, the road leading from Szombathely to Tours was declared an European Cultural Itinerary by the Council of Europe. The saint bishop of Tours was born in 316 A. D. in the ancient town of Savaria, Pannonia (today the city built on Savaria’s sites is called Szombathely). Son of a military tribune, he was enrolled at the age of 15. Among the soldiers of the Roman Empire he excelled both with his kindness and his compassion for the sick and the poor. Fascinated and attracted by religion, which led to disputes with his father, he was baptized three years later in Amiens where he shared his coat with a beggar. Jesus told Martin in a dream that he was the beggar to whom Martin had done good. Influenced by this vision, Martin became Christian. He left the army in Worms to devote himself to his apostolate.
Kisújnánya was founded in the mid-1700s by German glass-bowlers under the name Neue Glashütte. The inhabitants of the village built a church in 1794 and consecrated in honour of St Martin. The glaswork operated up until 1809. The natives abandoned the village due to the harsh living contitions the 1970s, their houses were sold for urban folks.