Zsitvafödémes - Úµany nad ®itavou

The first written proof of Zsitvafödémes (Fedemus) dates back to 1239, when King Béla IV had donated the village to the Archbishopric of Esztergom. In 1284 the bishop gave the village back to the sons of the ban János, before 1292 the village was bought by Peter, coming from he Ludan family, branch Janik. In 1311 the village was totally ransacked by the troops of Csák Máté. The parish of the village was mentioned as early 1332, when records of the Papal tithe were made. In 1570 the Turks collected taxes from 24 people from 6 households. Six year later the village was burnt down by the Turks, and in 1664 it is still mentioned as waste land. In these times it belonged to Pasha Köprülü Ahmed. After 1711 Count Kaunitz initiated the relocation of peoples from Moravian frontier. From the 18th century the village had belonged to the Károlyi family. The late baroque church was built by Count Antal Károlyi and his wife, Klára Jozefa between 1781 and 1784 and was consecrated to Saint Martin, Bishop of Tours. In 1865, the church was renewed, it has a one-nave, semi-circular presbytery, vestry door and a built-in turret. The main altar dates back to the late 19th century, and is ornated by statue of the Bishop Saint Martin. There are three bells in the belfry, of which one was consecrated to Saint Martin in 1889.

Úµany nad ®itavou (web)

Nézze meg galériánkat!

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!