Zalalövő

 

Zalalövő was inhabited even back in the Roman times serving as a major transport hub. It was granted a free town status by Emperor Hadrian in 124 AD; then it was called Municipum Aelium Salla. The ancient commercial trail—the Amber Road—that also passed through Savaria was in the community’s vicinity. It is safe to assume that Martin of Tours made his way to Italy along this trail in the 4th century. The 5th century saw a period of depopulation in Salla; the village of Lövő was founded in place of the ancient town following the foundation of Hungary. In the age of the Árpád dynasty its inhabitants were archers, hence the name – Lövő (meaning ‘shooter’). Zalalövő reacquired its town status in 2000.
 
Sights to visit:
 
- Villa Publica - Salla Museum Zalalövő Kossuth u. 3. Homepage
- Country House - Zalalövő Petőfi u. 35. Homepage
- St Ladislaus church (1924-1927) - Zalalövő Szabadságtér 5.  Homepage
- All Saints church (medieval) - Zalalövő Petőfi u. 100.
- St Anne's church (1747-1749) -  Zalalövő Kossuth u. 62.
- Borostyán-tó /Lake "Borostyán"
 
Accommodations:
 
Ági Vendégház / Guesthouse - Zalalövő Margaréta u 18. Tel.: (36) 30 594-2166 Homepage
Borostyántó Vendégház / Guesthouse - Zalalövő Táncsics M. u. 8. Tel.: (36) 30 446 54-83  Homepage
Borostyán Kemping és Nyaralóházak / Camping and Lodge - Zalalövő Borostyán u. 18. Tel.: 30 947 49 36  Homepage
Dedesi Vendégház / Guesthouse - Zalalövő Nagyfernekág 4. Tel.: (36) 94 371-379  Homepage
Erika Apartmanház / Apartment - Zalalövő Cédrus u. 32. Tel.: 30 224 33 43
Ifjúsági Tábor / Youth camp - Zalalövő Borostyán u. 18. Tel.: 30 750 98 32
Imre Vendégház / Guesthouse  - Zalalövő Fenyő u. 31. Tel.: 30 959 13 75
Pesti Vendégház / Guesthouse - Zalalövő Petőfi u. 9/a Tel.: (36) 92 371-324
Vizimalom Panzió / guesthouse - Zalalövő Csekék 1. Tel.: (36) 92 371-322 Homepage

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!