Udvard - Dvory nad ®itavou

Udvard (Oudourt) is mentioned in the deed oft grift written by King Géza I to the Garamszentbenedek Convent in 1075. In the vicinity, on the present-day calvary hill, was located the settlement called Szent Márton (Zenth Marton), which had a royal mansion and a chapel consecrated to Saint Martin. In 1307 the ecclesiastic synod met here to discuss and eventually approve of Károly Róbert's demand from the Hungarian throne, and they have also brought a regulation valid until the present day, nemelly the sounding of the bells in the evenings in honour of the Holy Virgin Mary. Documents dated 1512 are mentioning the settlement called Szent Márton as totally extinct. Between 1855 and 1860 in the place of the dead settlement Szent Márton a neo-gothic calvary was built. Besides the 14 stations of the Cross and the Crucified Jesus a circular based columbine, and a staurcase surrounded by the statue of the Holy Virgin Mary, John evangelist, Maria Magdalena, Kleofas Maria, and two angels is also decorating the Calvary, where the Innaculate Conception and Saint Anne's statue is also displayed. Saint Martin's Chapel, built in 1860 is very likely that the foundation of the chapel is one-time chapel built in the Middle Ages. The plan is oblong shape, the apse is tpped by an octagonal tin tower. The altar was made by master carpenter Staudinger of Bratislava, the upper part being ornated by the painting of Saint Martin and the pauper, painted by József Molnár; the paintig was stolen in 2004. The chapel was renewed in 1971, this was the time when they placedthe stone plaque with the insription, "The first greeting of the bells was sounded here to you Oh, Virgin Mother Mary, haloed thy be amoungst the mounts of Hunnia, Udvard 1971". („ ITT ZENGETT A HARANG ELSŐ ÜDVÖZLETE NÉKED ÓH SZŰZANYA NYILT HÁLÁT HUNIA BÉRCEI KÖZT UDVARD 1971")

Udvard - Dvory nad ®itavou (web)

Accomodation: Penzión ®itava

Nézze meg galériánkat!

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!