Sempte - ©intava

 The water-castle built for the defense of the Vág valley, Sempte is first mentioned in a document dated 1177. The settlement and the castle had been Royal domonion until the end of the 13th century. In the 15th century Sigismund of Luxemborg spent a lot of time here, and eventually gave the title of township to the settlement. In 1563 the Lutheran pries Peter Bornemissza founded a printing house in Sempte. At the turn of the 16th and the 17th century the castle was converted into a modern fortress, and this will seve as the foundations of the classicist castle to be built here later. In 1703 the castke was occupied by the kuruc toops. In the 18th century the fortress' walls and the tower are also demolished.In its place the classicist-style Esterházy castle was built. During the Turkish rule 105 households and 136 taxpayers are recorted. The lanslords at this time are the Thurzó family,later, from 1642 the Esterházy family. The four members of the Esterházy family, who died in the battle of Vezekény in 1652,were brought to be buried here in coffins of lead in the chapel of the castle in Sempte,later to be transferred to Trnava, to their final resting place. The baroque-stile Saint martin's Church was built in 1776,on the foundation's of the former Medieval Church. The Patroness of the Church was Alsace Angelica d"Hennin French Duchess, who had larger estete in the village.

Šintava (web)

Accomodation - Chatová osada Lodenica

Nézze meg galériánkat!

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!