Óbudavár

The village was first mentioned in a charter dating back to 1413, as the land belonging to the prebenday of Óbuda bearing the name of Budavary. From 1753 the place had been called Óbudavár. In 1771 the landowner of the settlement was the Chapter of Esztergom, the inhabitants were mostly German and Hungarian farmers, all of the Roman Catholic religion. The construction of the church devoted to the memory of Saint Martin was finished in 1836. The Chapter divided the land surrounding the village into 7-acre lots, and sold them in the 1890s to the peasants of Óbudavár, Szentjakabfa and Balatoncsicsó. Since he did not possess any vineyards, the settlement did not suffer the effects the vine-pest of 1880.The 100th anniversary of the building of the Óbudavár church was celebrated in 1936. The renovation of the church was completed with a 500 pengő, the Hungarian currency at the time, as a support from the government. On the altar there is a statue of Bishop Saint Martin. The insription painted on the altar says: NEITHER WAS BISHOP SAINT MARTIN AFRAID OF DYING, NOR WAS RELUCTANT TOM LIVE; IN THIS WORLD HE WAS POOR AND MODEST, BUT ENTERED THE GATES OF HEAVEN A RICH MAN. József Hertling and his wive, Mária Tóth erected a jubilee cross in the churchyard. The church is a remarkable example of the folk architecture prevalent in the Northern Balaton region, for whic reason a replica was re-built of their Bakony-Balaton Regional Folklore collection.

Nézze meg galériánkat!

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!