Csákberény

The Pannonian Roman Military road leading from Aquincum to Mogentiane (Keszthely) lead through the settlement. In the Middle Ages Berény had belonged to the lands of Csókakő Castle, which had been built by the Csák family. The name of the settlement is first mentioned in document tating back to 1231. Csókakő and its environs became the property of the Turks in 1543. Csákberény had belonged under the control of the Fehérvár sanjak and had been under Turkish rule for 144 years.  The village had been deserted and the re-settlement was begun in 1667 by Mihály Keresztesi Varga.  The estate of Csókakő was given to György Széchényi Archbishop of Esztergom by King Lipót I. in 1678, to be transferred to Antal Ferenc Lamberg in 1752. The Duke ordered the building of a church in 1772,  in the village of Csákberény, along with a priest's house and a school. The foundation stone of the baroque church was laid by István Bartakovics parish priest in 1775. József Drávecz Bishop of Veszprém had consecrated it in 1776, on Saint Martin's day. The settlement was a battlefied from Christmas of 1944 until 16th March, 1945. The church had been seriously damaged during the war. Between 1952-1955 the church had been completely renovated. In the church received a new sacred furnishing. The organ was made in the workshop of Ottó Riegler of Pest in 1781. The altar piece is the painting of an unknow artist, portraying the cloak sharing scene, with pauper wearing a head-dress Muslim style. The painting was renovared by Béla Kontuly. The specia value of the Parish is the Saint Martin relic kept in a silver case.

Csákberény (web)

Nézze meg galériánkat!

 

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!
Galleries
Ják

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....

 

 

Photos
Contribute and show Your experience!
Community
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!