During the times of the Romans, a significant route leading to Italy and passing near Szombathely also ran very close to the village of Nádasd. The traces of this road are still visible in the village and its close vicinity. Nádasd was the centre of the noble Nádasdy family between 12th-15th century and this is where their origins go back to. Therefore, it is highly likely that it was them who had the local round church and the adjacent tower built in the 12th century (excavated in 2003). The family was reported to have their seat moved to Sárvár by the 1500s but it is assumed that Tamás Nádasdy, the Renaissance nobleman founding the first printing shop in Hungary, was born in Nádasd in 1498.
The round church was extended in the 13th century. It was mentioned in 1376 as a parish church erected to pay tribute to St Martin of Tours. The local church passed into Protestant ownership towards the late 16th century and was returned to the Catholics in 1732. The ancient church was dismantled in 1888; the building we can see today was built in the same year following Frigyes Friedrieger’s plans.
The church has a dual title: Exaltation of the Holy Cross and St Martin.
If you are a visitor in Nádasd, you must become familiar with the name of the former patron of the local church, László Batthyány- Strattmann (1870-1931), also known as “the doctor of the poor” who has recently been beautified.

Nádasd is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Nádasd - Nádasd, Hegyalja (3 km) - Körmend, Szent Erzsébet Church (5.5 km) - Körmend, railway station (7 km)
Nádasd - Vaspör (8 km) - Pusztacsatár (12 km) - Velence (14 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....



Contribute and show Your experience!
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!