In the Middle Ages Körmend used to have a church consecrated in memory of St Martin. Its location today is not known for certain but it is most likely to have stayed in place of today’s Zrínyi Street 4. A will written in 1434 or 1435 makes mention of various churches consecrated in memory of St Martin and St Elizabeth as well as a cloister built as a tribute to the Virgin Mary. From a document dated 1513 we can learn that the former St Martin church used to stand outside the city walls but how and when it was destroyed is all shrouded mystery. Its memory lived on in the name of the street, St Martin, until 1930 when it was renamed as Kölcsey Street.

Körmend is a station located along Via Sancti Martini, which leads to Tours, France. This pilgrimage road pays tribute to a major saint in European Christianity, St Martin, who was born in Savaria, today’s Szombathely, in either 316 or 317 AD. Martin was passing through this area when he left his hometown to visit first Italy then Gallia. As a soldier he met a beggar at the gates to the city of Amiens, and he tore his cloak in two and gave one half to the beggar to express his sympathy with the poor and the needy. Later he left the army and set out on a route of pilgrimage; he organised Christian communities and founded a monastery. On his return to Savaria he converted his mother to Christianity. In 371 he was elected bishop of Tours. Because of his great kindness, his benevolence to people and the miracles attributed to him he enjoyed a special esteem and respect. He died in 397.

The St. Martin's stations within walking trail following distances:
Körmend - Nádasd (Rotunda 6 km) - Vaspör (12 km)
Körmend - Harasztifalu (8 km) - Nagykölked (10 km)

Related gallery

Migratory route recommendation
Learn more about the Events and
Attractions on Facebook!

The St George Abbey of Ják was founded by Marthinus Magnus de Jaak in cca. 1220, and it was consecrated in 1256. Its magnificent recessed doorway is the finest example of Hungary’s Romanesque architecture. The monastery, built adjacent to the church but destroyed in the late 16th century, was the home of Benedictine monks.   .....



Contribute and show Your experience!
Join St. Martin,
walk the paths traveled by!